Friday, October 9, 2009

A Hodgepodge of Something More Mundane

After a few weeks of high and lofty topics, I decided to tone it down a bit this week (actually it was because I didn’t have any amazing revelations this week, but…) and talk about more mundane things. A summary of important things, I guess.
First of all, for instance, I finally overcame my writer’s block for real. I wrote 3 pages today at various times in school, which is rather impressive for me I think. I’m bursting with ideas and I think they’ll last another few chapters. I hope. I’ll probably get bogged down again around the time they reach a city, but oh well. Maybe my luck will hold! Dovie’andi se tovya sagain—It’s time to Roll the Dice. That’s the motto of Shen an Calhar, or the Band of the Red Hand, led by Matrim Cauthon, in the Wheel of Time. I just think it’s snazzy.
Secondly, I’m in rather a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I’m sure all of you know how many things I’m involved in. Well, there’s a certain organization that wants me on their team, and I was considering it earlier in the year until a certain other that takes higher priority said I couldn’t be on both. Well, recently, I was informed by an important person that if I did want to be on the first-mentioned organization, something could be worked out with the second-mentioned one. The thing is, because I was told I couldn’t be on it, I decided to do a certain other thing, which conflicts with this team. And I’m sort of worried about exploding from stress. Most of all I hate having to decide like this, because I was on the team last year and so I do feel loyalty toward it. Lastly, I’m kind of worried about the voices asking why I get an exception. I guess, looking at it, there are more arguments against it than for it. Ah well, I’ll decide this weekend and hope for the best.
Hmmm….what else of interest? I’m rereading a large series of books right now, in preparation for the release of the next one on October 27. As you may know, I make a rather big deal of them. I think they’re helping me with my writer’s block as well. When you can look at a book, see how a master can begin the series, each book, have climaxes for each book, manage characters, change the characters (even if the changes make me sad…I don’t like Rand being so hard), end books and chapters, switch between characters, places, and points of view, and end the series (though this one of course is not there yet), it helps very much indeed. I’d advise anyone trying to write to read thoroughly and then try and get things from it. Not just themes and truths of life and all, but about writing and little tricks and tips. There are quite a lot of them once you start looking.
I guess that about sums up my thoughts at the current moment, disregarding the bit about me being ecstatic at not having a boatload of math homework over the weekend and glad I don’t have much from other classes as well. I’m in a conflicting state of mind right now, I guess. Happy and sad and confused and thoughtful. And with some very interesting dreams to go along with it. That’s life, I guess. Fraught with so many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment